Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Why?

Merriam-Webster Definition:
Why; adv: for what cause, reason, or purpose

This is Lilja's favorite word right now. Three letters, such a tiny word, but boy oh boy, does it ever offer up an entire conversation on why I said something, did something, or asked something. Every morning I think I should count how many times she asks me 'why', but then I forget and don't seem to remember until the day is nearly over. Most of the time when she says..."why you do that mama?" I will answer her and explain what it is that I did and the purpose behind it which then leads to another "why mama?". After 3 or 4 whys I try to change the subject. I could spend all day justifying why I put the peanut butter in the cupboard, or why I said something to a particular annoying driver (we'll not repeat what I may or may not have said). Children are so very inquisitive so I want her to feel free to ask us anything, but sometimes I have to admit "why" drives me crazy! At those times I typically say to her..."well why not?"

Christmas is just a day away and we're finally prepared for the first year that Lilja understands the concept of Christmas. I've limited the amount of presents under the tree so she doesn't decide to open them on her own when I'm not looking. Actually, I haven't even finished wrapping yet. UGH. The last 3 weeks I've had some nasty cold, cough and have felt run-down and tired all the time. That has slowed down my decorating efforts, but at least we have a tree up! Of course a whole strand of lights went out, and it had to be near the middle. At this point we'll just live with a partially lit tree. Maybe no one will notice. Lilja has a nativity scene that Nana Woodworth (and Papa Woodworth made the stable) made out of all sorts of fabrics (and adds to each year) that she loves to play with. Last year she got the baby Jesus, Mary and Joseph and the stable. This year she received 2 shepherds, 2 sheep, and an angel. She loves to hold the angel up in the air and say..."the baby Jesus is born"! It's pretty cute. I'm glad she sort of understands that Christmas isn't just about Santa, presents and all that Hallmark crap. Frank also loves to play with the baby Jesus, which isn't so funny to her. She'll say "Nank took my baby Jesus mommy!!" Oh the fun that Christmas brings!

Nana and Papa took Lilja Christmas shopping so Kris and I are pretty excited to see what she thought we needed! She also did all her own wrapping. She calls presents "birthday parties". So she'll say "i need more tape for my birthday parties". She LOVES tape (could be a good stocking stuffer)! Nana also threw a Christmas Tea Party that included LJ and I, my childhood friend Danielle and her twins, and CJ and her grand-daughter Addyson (Danielle's mom and niece). It was a fun little party. The girls loved their "tea" (apple juice) and cookies. I think Lilja's favorite part was pouring tea for the other little girls, such a hostess!!


Before Nana took her Christmas shopping


After shopping and wrapping up her gifts.


The little ladies at the tea party

Kris has started to keep a little notepad of Lilja sayings. Two year olds come up with some pretty good material! The best one lately was Kris cut or burned himself and I said oh Daddy hurt himself, and she asked "daddy go to the hospital again?" (she really emphasized the word AGAIN! Guess she still remembers when we had the nice trip to the ER when daddy sliced his thumb this summer.

Merry Christmas to all from the Bjarnason's.

No comments: