Monday, November 2, 2009

Alive in Olalla

It seems I'm having some difficulty keeping this blog updated. Lack of time and procrastination could be 2 reasons, could also be the 2 year old requires ALL of your attention ALL of the time. So, I'm going to give it a 110% and keep this thing updated slightly better than I did these last several months. Run down on exciting events that haven't been documented here since April:

  • May - Lilja turned 2 and had a horse-themed birthday party (Amma Bjarnason & Aunt Brynja made it out for her special day), they also brought along Lilja's life-sized playhouse (it was shipped on it's own, they didn't actually bring it on plane!)


Everyone's favorite pony...Smithers!

The infamous playhouse
  • June/July- Visit from Kris' good friend Randy, he leveled out my riding arena while he was here! Kris got to travel to Tahoe for work, which I know was a huge highlight for him (I say this sarcastically) and I got to ride in several horse shows both months, and in August as well!
  • August - LONG LONG (did I mention LONG??) drive to Vail, CO for Aunt Kerala & Uncle Paul's wedding party, but well worth it!!
Applying sunscreen to the bride!

Enjoying the cake


The family photo (both bride & grooms)


The amazing bride & groom!!!
  • September - Visit from Amma & Afi Bjarnason and Lilja started preschool and was 99% potty-trained (more on that below)! I was stung near the eye by some nasty yellow jackets right before Amma & Afi arrived, so pictures were not allowed (and I'm typically the photographer of our family, although I know Afi got photos).

In her big girl pants (nice crack) helping with the horse feeding chores


Lilja also received her first haircut from Nana W.

First day of school, little Miss Independent


Second week of school

October was a long (but good) month as we had no "back-up" from Nana & Papa Woodworth who were traveling through the canyons and deserts of Utah. I would say Lilja is a pretty easy 2 year old, but there is something to be said about having someone close by to come watch her when you need a couple solid hours (sans child) to accomplish non-toddler friendly tasks. Lilja is really enjoying her preschool. It's only one day a week for 1.5 hours. Just about the right amount of time for a two year old. Favorite activity right now is painting. It's a co-op school, so the parents help out in the classroom, which is beneficial for both parent and child. As I mentioned, we were basically potty trained, we were on the last of the diapers when suddenly she started having "accidents" more and more often. After too many soiled undies, we went back to the diapers. I've talked with other parents, read online, and apparently it is a common event. They realize they have control over something and are learning their independence, etc. When I ask if she has to use the potty chair she replies "not now mommy". This is a favorite new saying (and applies to many things). As of now, I'm not pushing the subject as I don't want to have a power struggle with a toddler. She still wakes up dry, so hopefully she'll decide on her own that her big girl pants are way better than diapers.


Pumpkin patch day with the preschool
Ready for winter and all the rain!

We celebrated Halloween by trick or treating in the harbor with some friends and then dinner at their place afterwards. Lilja was a horse, of course. And I dressed up as the rider. Original costume I know, but it didn't require much thought on my part. Daddy declined on the costume option.

Carving the pumpkin was much more fun this year! And Rollie didn't eat this one!

Here are some photos from the last couple weeks. Frank our somewhat newly acquired (since late April) wiener dog, is fitting into our lives well. Lilja loves to play with him especially tug of war. As most dachshunds are prone to do, he burrows into just about anything possible. He's wicked cute when he does this!

Apple cider press day! Weather was unbelievable!

My goal is to be a little more timely with updates to this blog, good luck with that right??

No comments: